Camping Food Ideas
Does your mind go blank?
Why is it that our minds go completely blank when looking for camping
There is no problem at all when cooking for loved ones at home. Yet, when
planning a camping trip mealtimes seems such a frightening task.
We all know that camping is a time to get away from routine, to relax
with family and friends. Mealtimes should not be a nightmare.
It's not a time to spend slaving away at dinnertime. Get geared for
preparing food fast and efficiently and have more time to relax.
Memory: I'm not a creative person and need someone to prod me along before
the 'light bulb' goes on so here's some camping meal ideas to help you on the
- Plan a menu for duration of holiday
- If possible prepare meals beforehand and freeze to use while
- Give everyone a chance to participate in preparing a meal, even the kids.
They will feel so good if they single handily prepared a simple meal like
- Make a list of ingredients needed throughout the trip and try to take
most of this unless there are shops nearby.
- Make use of tinned or bottled food and dry ingredients as often as
- For breads and pancakes or flapjacks - mix the dry ingredients in advance, pop into a zip lock bag - ready to add egg and liquids when
- Contact campsite before hand to make sure what foodstuff is
available, like fresh milk or bread, tinned food, etc.
Quick Camping Food Ideas
Many camping food ideas take only a couple of minutes to prepare, without
compromising on nutrition and taste.
Think of your favorite quick to prepare meals at home, your family favorites.
Most of the time they can double up as easy to prepare dishes even when
See ideas of what food to take camping.
Hunt for quick and easy meals at your local supermarket, such as Quick
noodles or other instant meals.
- Make toast over the open fire, like Italian Bruschetta, and top with
- French toast for a quick lunch or breakfast
- Hot Dogs - you can even use tinned sausages if need be.
- Instant noodles add grated cheese and small blocks of vienna sausages or salami for a quick filling meal.
- Quick hamburgers could be very healthy with lots of fresh lettuce,
tomato, gherkins and tinned pineapple.
- Bake whole potatoes wrapped in foil in a fire, when done scoop out a
bit of the inside and mix with some of the following: grated cheese, butter,
chopped salami, ham or tinned tuna for a satisfying meal.
- Make a quick bread dough (prepare dry ingredients in advance) roll
out thinly and toast slightly over coals on one side, flip over and spread with
pizza topping out the bottle, add salami or ham pieces sprinkle with cheese and
bake until done. A foil tent over the top helps to melt the cheese.
- Jaffels with filling of your choice, such as bacon, tomato and cheese, savory mince or tuna and mayonnaise.
- My son calls this 'savory mince surprise'. You need to cook mince with onions, tomatoes, herbs and spices of your choice. When done make hollows in the mince and carefully break eggs one at a time into each opening, let it simmer until the eggs are set, grate cheese over and serve on a slice of bread or noodles.
- Pitta bread or tortilla are easy to fill with a variety of different ingredients making them a quick snack, substantial meal or even a delicious side dish to serve with a main course. See recipe for Broccoli wraps and Filled tortilla, for extra ideas.
Instant Camping Food
- Biltong or beef jerky with bread and butter or in a salad. See recipe
- Tinned foods have a great variety like soups, stews, vegetables, fish and
- Tinned fruit for a quick snack served with long life custard.
- Already prepared salads like beans and beet root - bottled or in
- Pro-vita or snack biscuits with toppings of anchovies, smocked mussels,
cheese, gherkins, olives or topping of choice.
- Dried fruit like pears, apples and peaches - healthy snack in between
- Peanuts and cashews or nuts of your choice.
- Fresh fruit, bananas, apples, oranges and pears all last for a couple of
days even if not refrigerated.
- Energy bars full of good nutrition.
- Long life milk, custard and cream.
- Sandwich spreads and cheese spread on a slice of bread.
- Instant soup, just add boiling water
Fast Camping Food Ideas
A good supply of healthy snack foods help keep kids happy when
they're having fun. Here are some quick camping food ideas for kids.
- We always have peanut butter handy with a slice of bread it's a healthy
- Fill small zip lock bags or plastic containers with raisins, nuts and small
pieces of dried fruit for a snack on the run. Prepare some at home.
- Long life flavored milk and fruit juice
- Tinned fruit served with long life custard.
- Tinned Vienna sausages on a bun.
- Fruit juice, cool drinks and enough drinking water.
Camping food ideas give you a peek at what can work on a camping trip
and should give your own ideas a jolt.
Happy hunting for easy pre-packed food and simple things to make while
enjoying the great outdoors.
Check out these lists for easy shopping and packing
Camping food list