Phew! At Last...
How many of us can't wait to get away....
Going Camping is one way of 'getting away' literally. To take the time off to blow away all the cobwebs that clutter our minds, to become part of nature again but ... how far away all depends on YOU.
Where do you want to spend time? Do you like Mountains, Sea, the Bush - Off the Beaten track?
Tommy: We have been camping for many years and still the anticipation sometimes gets too much. When we finally get to that chosen spot we also say ... Phew! At last.
Planning is Vital
Planning when to go, where to go, how to go, what to take, what to leave all adds up to the excitement of the next camping trip, and it's an important part of camping.
Do this well to make the going camping experience a good one!
If you take the wrong things and leave crucial items at home the outcome can be a blow...
Well, it could be, it can put you off camping for life, and that we don't want.
The three essential things you can't go without is Water, Food and Shelter. Making sure you have enough of these three elements can make your life a lot easier while out in the bush.
Sunset over a bushveld camp
First of all you have to decide where you want to go. Do you prefer beach camping, National Parks camping, inland resort or somewhere in the mountains?
Next you should know what is the best time to go and the time you have available. Take into consideration traveling time as well.
Make a reservation.
- Confirmed your reservation if applicable.
- Enquire about the availability of fresh water and food at the camping site, how far is the closest shop to buy essentials like bread, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables and maybe meat.
- Pitch your tent before you leave home especially if you haven't used it before or in a long time. Make sure all the poles, ropes and pegs are there. Check if the tent needs repairing this also normally reminds one what extra things are needed such as an extra ground sheet or gazebo for shade.
- Fill up your gas bottles and check the mantle of the gas light if that needs replacement, and if the burner is in working order.
- Replace batteries in flashlights.
Study this check list for things to take.
- Make sure you have everything to make your sleeping and living arrangements as comfortable as possible. Check air mattresses for punctures and repair.
- Before going camping prepare cooking facilities or a camp kitchen. If needed, get extra utensils and things to make preparing food at camp easier. This basic list helps with kitchen supplies that are handy to take.
- Plan your wardrobe according to a long-term weather prediction. Convenient to know if there will be a possibility of extreme weather conditions. Make sure to pack extra clothing especially for children who will need a change of clothes more often when playing outside all day.
- Make sure you have enough shelter against the sun, wind or rain. Take extra hats and suntan lotion when going camping in the summer and sufficient warm clothing when camping in the winter.
- Be prepared for minor incidents that might occur when camping have a first aid kit handy and take note of safety while camping.
Going camping is exciting, do the proper preparation in advance to ensure happy memories of your camping experience.
More pages you may want to view
Favorite Camping Spots - see where other readers like to camp and share YOUR favorite camping spot.
Return to Top of Going Camping